I start the day running – literally, and I don’t slow down until about 7 in the evening! I just try and “pack it all in”. My secret is my breakfast smoothie! I have fondly referred to it as “pond scum” and several other names depending on what color it happens to be that morning. It’s always different depending on what’s growing in the garden and what other ingredients I have on hand!
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day so after my run I love going out to my garden to pick fresh greens, maybe some citrus and berries! Then, I wander to my hen house let out my girls, coax a few that don’t want to give up their cozy nest and gather the morning eggs!
There are endless ingredients and combinations that you can add to a smoothie and customizing it to your own personal taste is the beauty of making your own. I happen to strive to find the most nutrient rich ingredients that pack the biggest punch. In other words most ingredients reallllly have to earn their spot in my blender!! That being said, although bananas are really high in sugar, I can’t resist the creamy fullness they lend to my drink! ( And they help neutralize some of the greens!)
|My top ten:
My Ten Top Picks:
- Flax seed oil -Enhance joint comfort and flexibility, maintain radiantly healthy skin, hair, and nails, take control of your cholesterol and triglyceride levels, strengthen your immune system, boost your energy and stamina, normalize blood pressure levels, increase fat-burning, promote blood sugar balance, support healthy kidney and liver function, heighten mood and mental clarity
- Hemp Seed – tons of protein for endurance stamina and muscle building
- Coconut milk – aids in weight loss, boost immunity, full of vitamins, minerals and elecrtolytes, great dairy substitute
- Spinach, kale or chard leaves- body cleansing, tons of vitamins and iron
- Acai juice - antioxidant which slows aging, improves digestion, sleep , mental focus and circulation, strengthens bones and muscles
- Lemon- the great alkalizer (cancer thrives in an acidic environment)
- Banana – potassium, creamy, full and sweet!
- Blueberries - antioxidant to slow the aging process
- Maca root – hormonal balancing, builds resistance, re-mineralizes the body, boosts energy and endurance
- Your pick Be creative! Some of mine are raw almonds, almond milk, pomegranate juice, fresh fruits such as canteloupe, pineapple, peaches and watermelon! Adding your local organic honey can help with allergies and adds an incredible fluffy smoothness to the smoothie. It also masks bitterness!
I’m very lax on measurements! Use what works for you and your taste buds! Rule of thumb: pack as many greens into everything you eat all day long! Along with my smoothie I have two slices of wheat free toast with raisins and pecans topped with fresh almond butter! It’s literally a truckload of calories and it gets me through my busy day!