Fountains are beautiful focal points and add beauty and interest to our gardens. Sometimes it’s just not feasible or practical to have them piped into water. I had to repurpose this fountain that was formerly at the side of my swimming pool. Instead of spilling back into my pool, the water spilled onto my deck , thus draining the pool! Here is my solution using succulents as my water and waves while adding depth to another part of my garden.
Here’s how I did it!
This fountain has a nice bowl to arrange succulents. It doesn’t have a drain so I water it maybe once a week
For the base
1. fill the bottom half with pebbles, rocks or gravel for drainage.
2. add a good potting soil with water rentention properties.
3. break succulents off existing plants if you have them otherwise buy the smallest size.
For the water pitcher
1. buy a small pot containing the string of pearls or other cascading succulent
2. secure it with wire or zip ties to the sculpture.
I only ever water the hanging plant because it drains into the basin.